As a plumbing practitioner, are you aware of where to go and how to identify which plumbing or drainage products are appropriate for installation?
The Plumbing Code of Australia, or the PCA, Part A (Suitability of materials and products) requires certain products to be certified and authorised through the WaterMark Certification Scheme. It references the WaterMark Schedule of Products, which lists the products and materials that are required to be certified in accordance with the Scheme. Products not requiring WaterMark certification are identified in the WaterMark Schedule of Excluded Products.
What’s the link?
WaterMark is a mandatory scheme for the certification of plumbing and drainage products. It aims to ensure that these products are fit for purpose and appropriately authorised for use in plumbing and drainage installations.
To give legal effect to the Scheme, it is referenced in the PCA, which in turn is called up in the State and Territory Plumbing Acts and Regulations.
Want to know if a product is certified?
The WaterMark Product Database lists products that have been certified and marked in accordance with the requirements of the Scheme. These products are recognised by authorities having jurisdiction as being authorised for use in a plumbing or drainage installation.
- WaterMark applies to most but not all plumbing and drainage products.
- The PCA references the Scheme.
- WaterMark is a mandatory product certification scheme.
- Products are certified by WaterMark Conformity Assessment Bodies (WMCABs).
- The ABCB manages and administers the Scheme and also authors the PCA.
- A database listing all products that are certified and authorised for use in plumbing or drainage installations is available.
- A WaterMark certified product must be marked with the WaterMark and the licence number as listed on the WaterMark Product Database.
- There’s lots of other information about WaterMark available.
Looking to get a WaterMark Certificate for your product?
Organisations seeking WaterMark certification for their product should apply directly to a WMCAB.
How do I access the PCA?
Register online to get free access! When you register, don’t forget to opt in to receive emails from the ABCB. It’s the best way to stay up-to-date with our plumbing news!