The PCA a requires most products intended for use in plumbing and drainage installations in or around buildings to be evaluated and certified to WaterMark product specifications.
Where a product cannot be evaluated against an existing product specification, industry can prepare an application for the ABCB Office to review and approve a new or amended product specification for inclusion in the WaterMark Certification Scheme (the Scheme).
The ongoing development and adoption of new or amended product specifications ensures they keep pace with industry product development. This enables new and innovative products, features or uses of products, within the scope of the Scheme, to achieve WaterMark Certification. More information about the development of product specifications can be found on the 'Specification Development for WaterMark and PCA Compliance' infographic.
Types of product specifications
Product specifications include documents such as:
- WaterMark Technical Specifications (WMTS) published by the ABCB;
- Australian Standards and Technical Specifications (AS, AS/NZS, TS) published by Standards Australia;
- International standards (e.g. ISO, IEC, EN); or
- Any other third party published document.
All documents must meet the WaterMark Protocol for Developing Product Specifications (the Protocol), found in Appendix 4 of the Manual for the WaterMark Certification Scheme. Product specifications that meet the Protocol will undergo public consultation and can gain acceptance and listing in the Scheme, on the WaterMark Schedule of Products.
WaterMark product specification projects
You can keep up to date with the public consultation, publication and/or adoption of product specifications through our LinkedIn Showcase.
In the meantime, the status of new product specifications currently being developed (annotated as ‘new’), and existing product specifications currently being amended, are listed below under the applicable stage of development.
- WMTS-531 - Commercial catering equipment (new).
- WMTS-532 - Pre-packaged wastewater pumping wells (new).
- AS 4032.1 - Water supply - Valves for the control of heated water supply temperatures Part 1: Thermostatic mixing valves, Materials design and performance requirements.
- AS/NZS 2845.1 - Water supply – Backflow prevention devices, Part 1: Materials, design and performance requirements.
- AS 2280 - Ductile iron pipes and fittings.
- AS 1172.6 - Urinals (new).
- WMTS-101 - Appliances (low hazard rating).
- WMTS-530 - Water meter with integral shut-off valve (new).
- AS 4795.1-2011 Amendment 1 - Butterfly valves for waterworks purposes.
Public consultation complete
- WMTS-040 - Waste pipe connection outlets and gratings, separate or integral.
- WMTS-522 - Fixture and floor wastes ¬– Supplementary protection devices.
- AS 3718 - Tap ware.
- AS 3499 - Flexible hose assemblies.
- AS 4766 - Rotationally moulded buried, partially buried and non-buried storage tanks for water and chemicals.
- AS/NZS 3497 - Drinking water treatment systems – Design and performance requirements.
- AS 4130 - Polyethylene (PE) pipes for pressure applications.
About WaterMark certification of products
WaterMark certification to applicable product specifications provides a process to evaluate and authorise products to enable their use in plumbing and drainage installations in or around buildings. This is to ensure that plumbing and drainage products are fit for the purpose for which they are intended and do not create significant risks or any likely outcome of:
i. personal illness, loss, injury or death;
ii. on-site environmental degradation;
iii. contamination of the water resource;
iv. adverse impact on infrastructure (private and public);
v. contamination of water supplies from the point of connection to the points of discharge; and
vi. wastage of resources (water and energy).
More information on WaterMark news and information is available through the ABCB’s new WaterMark Certification Scheme LinkedIn Showcase.