Feedback and Engagements
On 4 December 2018, the ABCB hosted an Industry Forum with key associations across the building and plumbing sectors.
The forum covered:
- an update on activities the ABCB is pursuing as part of the response to the Building Ministers’ Forum’s consideration of the Shergold-Weir Assessment;
- industry’s ability to help build capacity in using the performance-based code; and
- key changes included in the 2019 amendment of the NCC.
In addressing these topics, education formed a key part of the discussion. As a national body it was acknowledged that the ABCB is well placed to provide enhanced activities in the space of NCC education and training. The forum also canvassed how industry can assist with these enhanced activities, and discussed other potential avenues to assist practitioners competently understand and use the code.
The organisations that attended were:
- Australian Construction Industry Forum (ACIF)
- Association of Hydraulic Services Consultants of Australia (AHSCA)
- Australian Industry Group (AI Group)
- Australian Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Australian Institute of Building (AIB)
- Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS)
- Australian Institute of Refrigeration, Air Conditioning and Heating (AIRAH)
- Building Products Innovation Council (BPIC)
- Consult Australia (CA)
- Engineers Australia (EA)
- Fire Protection Authority of Australia (FPAA)
- Housing Industry Association (HIA)
- Master Builders Association (MBA)
- Master Plumbers Association (MPA)
- Property Council of Australia (PCA)
The ABCB will be looking to collaborate and engage further with industry as its enhanced education and training presence is scoped out over the coming months.
Want to know more?
Access the Shergold-Weir Assessment, “Building Confidence – Improving the effectiveness of compliance and enforcement systems for the building and construction industry across Australia”, or the overview of amendments for NCC 2019.